Monday, November 1, 2010

Module 5

Red Queens and Increasing Returns

When I first read the assignment for Module 4 that I had to watch a movie, I was a little shocked. What could a movie possibly do with my current educational studies? So I began my quest to find a movie. First, I looked to our movie library only to find that we did not have any of the titles. Next, I put out a request via a popular social networking site to find out that a friend of mine did have one of the titles, however she was 2,000 miles away. So knowing that I needed the movie a bit quicker than snail mail would allow, I went to the internet and Netflix won out.

How could you not love Netflix? The option to have unlimited DVD rentals and instant streaming to my computer…what could be better? It’s definitely worth the monthly fee to have the late fees disappear when I can’t find the DVD or my children have “put it away” in a manner that they can only find.

The battle of rental vs. video on demand is an example of Increasing Returns. In this force, “Two innovations hit the market at about the same time, (and) by chance one technology gets locked in and drives the other to extinction (Thornburg, 2008). Video on demand hit the market a bit later than rental stores, however I feel that it still falls under this category due to the increasing number of rental stores going out of business in the past few years (extinction). In today’s on demand world it only seemed logical to have a favorite American pastime jump on board.

In McLuhan’s tetrad there are four areas to consider for DVD’s and video on demand; Enhances, Obsoletes, Retrieves/Rekindles, and Reverses. I would have to say that video on demand obsoletes the need for concrete buildings in the movie watching world and DVD’s enhances the movie experience by allowing consumers the luxury of enjoying a movie in the comfort of their own home. It will be an interesting ride over the next decade or so to see how this connection shifts and changes.

6 comments:

  1. You wrote "What could a movie possibly do with my current educational studies?"

    This expression exactly validates these exercises. Technology is advancing so fast that even as students of Educational Technology we are prone to miss many elements.

    Can you imagine the naivity of those that are not studying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that I was surprised at what I could uncover by watching a Sci-Fi movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzanne--we had a similar take on the DVD vs. Netflix duel--I don't use Netflix, but if I traveled more and wasn't in school, I probably would have signed on a long time ago!

    As far as movies and studies, just remember that our movies are a reflection of what we are and how we think, and so with more contemporary social analysis, we look at a society's movies as we examine them in detail. Movies reflect our beliefs, our values, and standards--it makes for an interesting subject!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You mention the downfall of the video store. What impact do you think the DVD kiosks, like Redbox will have on the rental vs video battle. I find Redbox more economical and just as easy as Netflix. I do not rent movies on a regular basis. When I do find the time, I can access redbox from my phone and identify what is available, where and reserve a copy for me to pickup. With the dollar a day rental fee, I can save money by returning it hte next day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right. We only have one video store left here in my area, but there are plenty Redbox popping up at grocery stores, convenient stores, and other places. How do you feel that the cable/satellite companies fit into Red Queens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that the cable/satellite companies are in the running as they offer VOD often at the same time that Redbox, Netflix, and other companies have the specific titles.

    ReplyDelete