Friday, October 8, 2010

Module 3-Rhymes of History Technology

Thinking about a technology that represents a rhyme in history is harder than I thought. There are so many technology items to choose from that when I think long and hard about it, do have a connection in history. As Dr. Thornburg states in his vodcast, Rhymes in History, "The affect or impact of a new development rekindles something from the distant past."

So which to discuss here...I think about all the items that I use on a daily basis: my cell phone, laptop, television, desktop, Elmo, LCD projector, SMARTboard, microwave, etc. All items have evolved to make a task easier, that represent a rhyme in history. So for this thread I will choose one that impacts all my family...television.

Television is a way to bring entertainment into your home. It enhances the entertainment experience by allowing people to be in charge of when and where they view the content. As I think back into television history I see the timeline as such: television revives the movie theater, the movie theater revives live theater, live theater revives family storytelling. Each step that entertainment has taken helps bring the entertainment closer to the people it is intended.

2 comments:

  1. I agree it was hard to pick just one technology to discuss. Television is still evolving to our cell phones. Now with the new smart phones, you can access television from anywhere at anytime. Just think about how television will change as cell phones change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzanne,
    Television is a good example of a technology that represents a rhyme of history. I totally agree with your timeline and that it does show a rhyme. The only problem I see is that current televisions have slowly moved away from the actual "togetherness" that a family experiences. The storytelling, live theater, and movie theater involved much more family interaction than a television set provides. Maybe, the next televisions will have an interactive component included with watching programs and movies, like the Wii games. Good job.

    ReplyDelete